Thursday 1 May 2014

My work with Vallejo Liquid Gold.



Well my “quick” review didn’t really cover much in the way of actual progress, or how I used it. So here is the longer one.



If you monitor the facebook page or Twitter, you would have already seen these photos. However, if not, then here are some examples (and the above image) of what I’ve been able to do with just Vallejo Silver and Gold (with a bit of wash of course):


The main thing I’ve found with the Gold is that if you thin it too much, you won’t get a huge amount of coverage. So after a bit of trial and error, I have found putting about a 70/30 mix of paint to alcohol is about right. I used Isopropynol Alcohol just from the hardware store. Cost $9 for 1 litre. Vallejo suggest that you use completely separate paint palettes and brushes. I followed their advice and have a separate kit for doing the Alcohol based stuff.

For the Silver I used about a 50/50 mix of thinner to paint. The flow is INCREDIBLE and you should be able to do a large coverage within seconds. I use a long, but thin, brush so I can reach all of the corners.
After applying the layers of paints, I used the Army Painter Dark Tone with Airbrush thinner. I don’t thin with water anymore because I find the Airbrush thinner makes it flow and pool in the recesses better. Also, I use the thinner because I find that the Washes like Nuln Oil or Dark Tone really take some of the shine away, which I didn’t want. 

Anyway, it’s seriously easy. Don’t be fooled into thinking I’m a pro painter. All it takes is preparation and technique.

1 comment:

  1. Looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing the info. I think I might pick these up as well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...